While purchasing the required web hosting package to host your website, you must always look at which tool is being provided by your hosting provider to manage the hosting service. Some web hosting providers will give you options to choose from, and some render the particular type of tool. The two popular tools among which you would want to pick one are – cPanel and WHM. Both of these tools help you maneuver and take complete charge of handling your web hosting. Many users ask their hosting provider to render any of them with their web hosting packages without recognizing the precise functionality and purpose of cPanel and WHM. It is crucial to get insights into them because they make a significant difference in web hosting. In the subsequent sections, you will get to know all about cPanel vs WHM.
What is WHM?
WHM is an acronym used for Web Host Manager. It is another kind of famous administrative access tool. The Web Host Manager is utilized for the backend of the cPanel account.
While opting for the WHM(Web Host Manager), you will be able to create a cPanel account to avail hosting accounts. You will get the power to control many heavy websites with the help of WHM. Furthermore, you are also allowed to sell hosting services and maintain multiple cPanel. You get the options to modify, upgrade or even downgrade an account. With the WHM, you will also get to monitor the usage of bandwidth.
What are the Key Benefits of WHM?
WHM (Web Host Manager) will permit you to access the DNS zones of all the domains. It also enables you to build, delete or suspend the cPanel accounts you want. WHM has the capability to support customer requests through the cPanel. On the other side, it will also let you change the domain and usernames of clients along with the authority to configure cPanel. With the Web Host Manager, you not only get the total backend control over cPanel, but it serves many other advantages for Virtual Private Servers and Dedicated servers as well. So, if we compare cPanel vs WHM then they both work hand-in-hand and are really not the substitutes of each other. Some of the key benefits among them are enlisted as follows-
- The WHM will allow you to install and manage SSL certificates with ease.
- You will be allowed to assign and whitelist the IP addresses.
- With Web Host Manager, you can have access to all the accounts incorporated. Furthermore, you will have the authority to change the ownership of the account in case an account gets sold or deleted.
- Your customers can receive newsletters, updates, and deal upgrades via WHM.
- The Web Host Manager permits other websites to brand themselves with different WHM skins.
- You will also get to monitor the status of the server and resources with WHM.
- In all, the WHM will take away the time you need to spend on server administration. You will be able to focus on handling the requirements of customers.
What is cPanel?
cPanel is an online control panel basically for Linux users. It helps the users who opt for the Linux hosting service. cPanel enables the users to easily manage the hosting service involving the Linux operating system running at the base.
While selecting the cPanel control panel for the hosting purpose, you will be able to control administrative tasks of hosting. Such tasks include building a website, creating and managing emails, resetting passwords, setting mail forwards, managing add-on domains and subdomains, uploading and managing files, etc.
What are the Key Benefits of cPanel?
The cPanel control panel enables you to maintain and control files with ease. It utilized a manageable GUI ( Graphical User Interface) that will act as an enabler for handling system admins. It will benefit you when you are not looking to employ a website builder. Therefore, the cPanel serves itself as a user-friendly operating environment compared to its rivals and competitors in the hosting market. Mentioned below are some of the other key benefits rendered by the cPanel-
- It enables you to append domains and maintain email with respect to the web hosting plans.
- It provides you with control over the FTP accounts in order to upload, delete, or move files on the server.
- You will also acquire web-related statistics such as visitors per month through AWS stats.
- You can have various add-ons and APIs with Softaculous integration. The Softaculous integration will enable you to download WordPress, Joomla, or Drupal updates.
- cPanel makes sure that your web data is secure and provides backup and recovery options at the same time. You will have all this without compromising on the scale.
- It is much economical if we compare it with Windows.
What is the difference between cPanel and WHM?
After having gone through the key features of cPanel and Web Host Manager, let us dive into the differences among them. Since most of the information about cPanel vs WHM you have already acquired, it will become easier for you to figure out the differences between them. But to put forth the things into your onlook, here we have highlighted the principal points that show the differences between WHM vs cPanel:
|Web Host Manager
|WHM is basically a reseller control panel. Many resellers utilize WHM to manage all the web hosting accounts of their reseller packages.
|cPanel is the control panel which is utilized by the end customers under a web hosting provider. It is generally utilized by the customers to handle their own accounts.
|The resellers acquire the root level access with the WHM.
|cPanel only offers access to the web hosting accounts on the servers (to the users).
|3. Port Number
|WHM functions through 2087, which is a secure port number.
|cPanel on the other side, operates through 2083 as its secure port number.
|4. Password reset
|The password details for WHM correspond to its cPanel accounts. That means, if you modify the password of your WHM, then the password of cPanel will also be changed.
|The password for cPanel can be set by the end customers according to their choice.
|You can only add domains but not subdomains.
|You can add or remove any domains and subdomains.
After examining the features and differences of the cPanel vs WHM, you must have comprehended that the characteristics of both of them are quite distinct from each other. They do operate in tandem. However, they also possess significant differences that can benefit discrete groups of end-users and resellers.
Therefore, you should think first of all about your needs and which can suit the best for your web business before picking any from the options of cPanel and Web Host Manager.